Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Soy and Sake Village


Located in the West Village, Soy and Sake Village is the sister restaurant to Red Bamboo and Vegetarian's Paradise 2.  What makes this restaurant so unique?  They serve vegan sushi.  I'm not talking about avocado rolls and cucumber rolls.  I'm talking specialty rolls such as the Village Roll (Vegan Rock Shrimp tempura, cucumber, topped with banana, avocado and a spicy vegan mayo).  
I couldn't possibly pass on getting a glass of sake, therefore I chose the Momokawa Organic Nigori Junmai Ginjo Sake.  I heard about this sake from This Just In.  It was served with a large wedge of cucumber.  The sake was very light and refreshing with a hint of pineapple.  
After I placed my order, about 10 minutes went by and the waitress came over with a complimentary bowl of their hot and sour soup.  She apologized for the long wait and said that my meal would be out shortly.  I didn't think that I had waited that long, but accepted the generous offer.  The soup was okay.  Nothing spectacular, but a nice treat.
The next dish arrived shortly after.  The House Roll (crisp soy chicken, bamboo shoots, avocado, vegan mayo and vegan eel sauce).  When I read the description on their menu, I thought, "Vegan eel sauce I don't know about this".  However, I'm glad I tried it because this roll was out of this world.  I would definitely order this again in a heartbeat.
Next up, this gigantic portion of Sweet and Sour Chicken.  I typically don't order Sweet and Sour dishes, but for some reason I was craving the sauce.  The entree was another winner.  I had leftovers for two days.  Next time your in New York, be sure to try this place!

Soy and Sake Village
47 7th Ave S.
New York, NY 10014
Vegetarian, Vegan, Japanese, Pan-Asian & Pacific Rim Sushi
Website: http://www.soyandsake.com/

1 comment:

  1. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM

    Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete