Friday, May 29, 2009

Vietnamese Crepe (Banh Xeo)


After buying some fresh scallions from the farmer's market at Union Square, I decided to make Vietnamese Crepes.  The main ingredients for the crepe flour included rice flour, wheat flour, salt, baking soda, and tumeric (I always add a little extra tumeric for color).  I think you can find the prepared flour at your local asian supermarket.  Look for the brand I used below.
Prepared Rice Flour (Bot Banh Xeo)

Follow the directions on the package for making the crepes.  You will need coconut milk, water, scallions, and ingredients for the filling.  For a vegan version, I made the crepes with tofu, onion, mung beans, scallions, and bean sprouts.  I also served the crepes with romaine lettuce, fresh cucumbers, and fresh mint.   In addition, I made a soy vinegar dipping sauce (a vegan nouc mam-traditional Vietnamese fish sauce) with sugar, vinegar, water, fresh lime, soy sauce, fresh garlic, and red chiles. Here are a few photos of the crepe making process.

Cooking the mung beans
Crepe with tofu, scallions and onions
Adding the mung beans and fresh bean sprouts
Drum Roll please.....a nicely seared Vietnamese Crepe
This meal reminded me of eating Vietnamese food with my lovely family:)

3 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I wish I could find that mix here...I would love to try to make those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so tasty, I guess I've been living under a rock because I've never had Vietnamese food before. Its looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks really good! I love crepes :)

    ReplyDelete